"Who in their right mind wouldn't want to read a book by Mark Barry!" (Mary Quallo, St Louis)

"Who in their right mind wouldn't want to read a book by Mark Barry!"  (Mary Quallo, St Louis)
Coming next week - Carla Eatherington

Friday 13 July 2012

Bad News Friday

Congratulations to my friend Wendy on winning the Inspiring Blog award. Lovely stuff.

In the theme of Inspiring blogs, I have some bad news.

 Carla, which is out in paperback on Wednesday, my favourite and best reviewed book, comes in at a buy price of £10.99. I make a quid.

I'm sorry. It's a huge flaw in the Createspace model.

I'm embarrassed.

Luckily you can pick it up electronically for £3. Big grin reappears. It's worth £3 just for one joke, but I'm not sure the physical paperback is worth £10.99.

Not brilliant marketing, I know, but its honest.

As it stands, if you want to buy Hollywood and/or Kid Atomic, you will need an Ocean Finance loan. Dawn and I are working on a solution, but to be honest, I'm brassed off with it all and need a break.
____________________

The problem is, my novels are too long.

Amazon class them as Epic. Epic? Kid Atomic is about two students and a girl who live in Sherwood. It's hardly talking goblins and magic rings.

I've sold sixteen copies. I don't think anyone has ever read it. Yet, if I was to be marooned by mad pirates on a desert island and I could only take one book with me (that I've written) it would be Kid Atomic.

Carla's good, but there's a streak of bleak hopelessness in it which stays with you, like a Leonard Cohen or Submarine song.
Hollywood Shakedown- which the more I look at it, the better written it looks - is too urban and mobile for a desert island. Honestly, once people get this, they will buy it and its exactly ONE POUND!
The Ritual? Who would take a horror novel as their marooning book?
UV is a close second because most of it is real.
TIW? Don't even go there. I never want to see this thing again. More great marketing.

No, I would take Kid Atomic, and yet no one wants to know. I wrote it just before Christmas, just after UV, when I was really happy. It's a great idea. I'm not sure its been done anywhere. I wrote it for my long forgotten son to read, but he never did. It took me no more than 30 days and the words just flew out of my head. It took Heroine about a day to read.

Anyway, enough of this tomfoolery. I'm off for the weekend. Will be back on Sunday with the author interview. Toodles. Wiz.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.